|Course : South Lakes High School|
|Location: South Lakes Drive East of Soapstone||Distance: 6.0 Miles|
Maps : Street
- Start at rear (west end) of the SLHS parking lot, by walking down the path towards (but not through) the tunnel under South Lakes Drive
- Make a right to go away from South Lakes Drive.
- At the next fork you have a choice: Option 1: People who want a more serious workout go right continuing a short distance and then go left away from the hill up to the high school stadium. Later go up the hill towards the back of Terraset ES. Make a left at the top of the hill, keeping the school on your right and the playground on your left. Go left again to go down the hill, into the woods and then through the tunnel under Soapstone there to rejoin (or start chasing) the folks who exercised Option 2; or: Option 2: The easier, not to mention shorter of the 2 choices, is to simply bear left at the fork and follow the path through the tunnel under Soapstone.
- Turn right after the Soapstone tunnel and follow the path uphill across and through some townhouse clusters along the golf course, and finally out onto the sidewalk next to Soapstone.
- Cross Golf Course Square and take the next left onto a path
- Bear right, then make a 90 degree left (close to the #16 tee) and follow the trail through the woods for about 100 yards or so before turning left as you emerge from the woods and run up across Newbridge to the pool where the Newbridge course starts.
- Continue on the trail, crossing Golf Course Drive 2 times.
- Continue down the hill and across the golf course first bearing right (going between the #1 green and #2 tee) then left up the hill into the trees, across yet more of the golf course (behind #8 green) towards South Lakes Drive.
- Follow the trail down into the woods, and bear left toward the bottom of the hill.
- Go through the tunnel under South Lakes Drive.
- Continue downhill bearing slightly to left at the first 4-way intersection, then go right across a wooden bridge after which the path makes an immediate left, going down to the Triathlon course behind Reston Community Center.
- Bear right after crossing the next wooden bridge and follow the path to a clearing and a "T" intersection.
- Turn left and go up the hill towards the Reston Community Center (RCC) where water and restrooms are available.
- As you walk out the front door of the Community Center (assuming you stop there), turn left, follow the path around the Lutheran church building and proceed down the hill across Bretton Ct.
- Bear right and go through the tunnel under Glade Dr.
- Follow the trail to a "T" intersection, and go left up the hill onto Colts Neck in front of Hunters Woods ES.
- Walk through the school parking lot in front of the school before going around the school building's right side, through an opening in the school yard fence, and popping out next to Steeplechase.
- Go down Steeplechase.
- Pick up the Glade nature trail making a left onto the trail from Steeplechase.
- Take the first right and follow the path which eventually crosses Soapstone.
- Continue on the path and take the first left after crossing Soapstone.
- Walk up the hill and go right onto Hunting Horn
- Turn left on Acton Ct.
- Make a left on Glade.
- Go just past the soccer field on the right and make a right on the pathway down the hill. There is a slight zig-zag to the right as you cross a street on your way down the hill. You'll pass a house with a beautiful patio (on your left) next to the lake (on your right).
- At the bottom of the hill, go left on the trail.
- Within 100 meters, take a right by a protruding manhole and cross a footbridge.
- Make a left at the "T" and follow the path away from the lake.
- Immediately after crossing the next wooden bridge, bear right at the fork in the pathway.
- Go up the hill and through the tunnel under South Lakes Drive, and take a right after exiting the tunnel
- You are now below the parking lot where you started.
(click on the map below to enlarge it)